Saturday, September 12, 2009

Define: Cheating

So, how do you define cheating?

What is cheating?

Specifically, in order for it to be defined as cheating, what lines do I have to cross?

Shall I compare answers with my friends. After all, that can hardly be defined as cheating. My friend's answer might not be correct, and I am just comparing, after all. Aren't I?

Shall I group together with my friends and grow a longer neck? My eyes merely slipped, and I didn't really mean to see the answers. After all, my friend was sitting right next to me, and I needed somewhere to focus my eyes while I was thinking. The fact that I changed my seat right before the test has nothing to do with it. Really!

Shall I slip notes under my test paper? There are my own notes, after all. What is the harm in that? Think of it this way, I'm merely copying my own notes. As far as I know, that's not cheating.

Shall I put my textbook on the floor? It is not as if I could flip the pages with my toes. Oops, there goes of my pen. If I could just bend down and pick it up...

Shall I discuss the question with my friend? Harmless discussion, we might as well have been talking about the weather.
'Well, what nice weather it is today!' ;
'It's raining.';
'yes, nice weather isn't it?' ;
'. . . ' ;
'by the way, does question 1 diverge or converge?'

Shall I copy? At least I tried. And who says we can't learn from copying?! It's not like I didn't try. I did. I really did. But the time's running out, and my friend is so confident with her answer, and the lecturer's not in, and that question carries 6 marks! and and... it's just this One Time!

Shall I ask my friends who've already had the test? I merely asked how easy or hard the test was. And which points I needed to focus on... and whether fungi would be coming up... and if cladiograms are important... and what the essay quesion was... Thing is, they're just harmless questions! It's not like I'm asking them to steal me a question paper!!

Shall I borrow the question paper my friend accidentally took? After all, everyone else is doing it.


I am so sick of people cheating. Especially in Puan Ruzela and Puan Mimi's class. The lecturers have so much faith in us! They trusted us to act our age and obey the rules and regulations. They are so nice as to let us have open book tests. So trusting as to leave us unattended sometimes. So good in what they do. So understanding in what we're going through. How can people cheat without feeling the slightest guilt? Don't you feel like you're betraying them?

I am so sick of people cheating. Because I know it's not fair for the rest of us who are not. We am no smarter than the rest of you. We didn't finish studying all the chapters, subchapters, subsubchapters, and whatnot like the rest of you. We get less than satisfactory results like the rest of you too. Why do you cheat?

I am so sick of people cheating.

Because I know some people can cheat through their lives, get better results, and live long and successful lives.

Because exam results sometimes do mean every difference.

Because sometimes, however hard I try not to be, I am tempted.

Lead me not to temptation, for I can find it myself.
-Rita Mae Brown

I used to think this quote was funny.

Life taught me otherwise.

2 comments:

Wei Jie said...

Ahh well. That's life for you.

My C++... I don't peep like "some". Nor do I use the computer below to secretly debug my program asked in the quiz like "some". Did I mentioned that "some" do it in front of the lecturer? And I score as high/higher than "some" in quizzes. I developed an entirely different program all from the scratch for my game project, whereas "some" just easily plagiarise the whole thing from the net. I scored as high/higher than "some" for their test. But I got a B+ compared to "some"'s A- thanks to AAP. For the lecturer, it is far worse to come late to class than to cheat and plagiarise. Life is unfair is it not?

I choose not to cheat. Can't bring myself to it.

But if someone accidentally expose their answers to me, and my eyes happen to see it... *ahem ahem*

Otherwise, for intentional cheating, it is out of my league.

Michelle Yau said...

cheating is to the last resort of a desperate motion.. generally no one would cheat given a chance...

hmm..